Tips for visiting Paris, France

Recommended stay: At least 1 week


Based on my travel experiences in Paris, France, these are my tips for:

Airfares: 
Look out regularly for flight specials at your local travel agencies. Since Paris is a top destination, there are always package deals available.

Accommodation: 
When I visited Paris for a weekend, I stayed with a friend in Chantilly, which is located just outside of Paris. Travelling into Paris was easy by catching the train from Chantilly-Gouvieux Train Station to Gare du Nord in Paris, then taking the metro to my desired location. To save time though, I would recommend staying in the city centre of Paris, relatively near to all the sites.


Recommended type of transport: 
Public

Using public transport: 
It is easy to travel around Paris by using the Metro system, which has stops at all the major sites of the city. Because Paris is a busy city, I would recommend this over using buses. Although using a bus would give better views, it may take longer to get to the destination. Walking down the Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe is probably the best thing anyone can do in Paris.


Hiring a car: 
I did not hire a car when I was in Paris but the roads were always busy. Walking seemed to be the best option.

Restaurants & local food: 
Paris is not a cheap city to visit or eat in. However, one has to try a baguette here - I had a nice one at Brioche Doreé near Notre-Dame. Also try a raclette - it's where you melt raclette cheese in mini pans on a mini grill and eat it with boiled potatoes, various dry meats / hams and freshly baked bread. But the best thing to eat in Paris has got to be macarons! You HAVE to buy macarons from Ladurée along the Champs-Élysées - the salted caramel flavour was my favourite!


The weather: 
No matter what season it is, Paris' weather is known to be unpredictable. Make sure you have a raincoat or an umbrella just in case!

Entrance fees & discounts: 
Entrance fees are pricey especially for top attractions like the Louvre. However, it is possible to see most of the main attractions without entering them - this works well if you don't have a lot of time.


Other: 
A weekend, like I had, is not long enough to experience Paris to its full. I would recommend at least a week to see all that Paris has to offer you!